- The "Streetlight Effect": a metaphor for knowledge and ignorance
- Metaphor: the Alchemy of Thought
- Vision: the Master Metaphor
- The Tao that can be expressed
- Ways of Knowing
- Truth, Validity and Usefulness
- The Great Red Spot (or, When Can a Thing be Said to Exist?)
- From Cell Membranes to Computational Aesthetics: On the Importance of Boundaries in Life and Art
- Is the mind a machine?
- Is there any such thing as "nothing"?
Axis, Praxis by Yohan J. John is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.
Monthly Archives: February 2011
Human beings frequently conceptualize experience and understanding in terms of visual metaphors. These metaphors pervade our discourse: we ‘illuminate’, ‘shed light on’, and ‘dispel shadows’. When you think you understand, you often say “I see.” In IIT Bombay lingo, after … Continue reading
There are three closely related — but in my opinion distinct — concepts that ought to be closely scrutinized before discussing metaphor proper. (The post is long but I hope you will bear with me: making the points I wanted … Continue reading